Holding On

Holding On
Everyday Thankfulness

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Blessings Abound

Even in times of frustration and trials there are abundant blessings to be found. After watching and waiting for news of the "state of my tumor" I met with my oncologist following a CT scan on Nov 14. I had 3 1/2 hours to wait between the scan and the results but was so excited to learn that the tumor has decreased nearly 1/2 it's original size. Thank You Jesus! It is now at 1.2 cm. It appears the Femara is working.  However, not without possible side effects.


Those night time episodes of coughing and vomiting? Possible side effects, yet every doctor I have been sent to seems to be stumped by the episodes happening solely at night or late evening. Of course each one (PCP, GI, ENT, Pulmonologist, Onc and Rad) has there own take and own area of concentration which comes with their own brand of medication either prescription or OTC. At one point feeling extremely over medicated and at wits end I finally took a friend's suggestion and visited a woo woo doctor (Doctor of Oriental Medicine). Those of you that know me really well can now pick your jaws up off the floor.  And yes, I was feeling desperate. But she also made me feel a little hopeful. At her suggestion I trashed all the meds except Femara - the one proven to work and which I feel my life at this point is literally dependent on - did an acupuncture treatment  and within a couple of days I was actually feeling better. Night time episodes decreased - only two episodes now in one week but boy were they extreme. Yet only two!  Gotta look on the bright side. 

Went back to Dr. Woo Woo Monday for another acupuncture treatment and to get my special herb "formula" aka "nasty tasting diluted mud" which is not supposed to interact with Femara, to be sipped as a tea twice a day. Again, those of you who know me really well know what I think about flower petal teas so can imagine my reaction to this special "formula". 

Yesterday, I had an appointment with the ENT to check on the status of my frozen vocal chord and see if he had any insight into my night episodes that come w extreme sinus pain.  Abundant blessing here is that my vocal chord has made improvement as it shows movement. Hurrah! Appears no permanent damage. Thank You Jesus! 

Now about those night episodes?  ENT was stumped. Radiologist and Oncologist wanted to know if the cancer involvement in the mediastinum (area between lungs with enlarged lymph nodes) might possibly cause problems such as coughing and vomiting. Yes and no so says the ENT who wants to put me on  Gabapentin for possible nerve damage.  And in the meantime wants me to see another GI even though his scope showed no appearance of GERD (acid reflux).   I maintain no one is fully listening to me (with the exception of Dr Woo Woo) so get very frustrated.  To the point of tears - yes, this from the Ice Queen! I have yet to pick up the new meds and am leaning toward staying with acupuncture and mud tea till after the holidays and then revisiting the state of my symptoms. 

The abundant blessings are that I have that choice. When feeling out of control I still have the choice to say yes, no or wait. As long as my life isn't in danger I think I will wait. That puts me back in control. Well, okay, God is ultimately in control but I'm exercising my free will. Abundant blessings indeed!  May each one of you experience your own Abundant Blessings!  Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments: